In 1922 a public meeting was held in the Jubilee Hall, Rothbury, to consider forming a recreation club for bowls, tennis and quoits.
From that meeting a committee arranged for a two acre piece of land to be leased from the Duke of Northumberland.
Whilst many records have been lost in the mists of time, it is probable that bowling started in 1925, and that in 1933, the Bowling Club and the Tennis Club became separate organizations.
During the Second World War, the building that had been erected was used for other purposes. In 1946 an agreement was reached with the military authorities to buy from them the brick building they had built during the war.
The heyday of the club, so far, appears to have been the late 40's and early 50's, with about 80 paying members. We even had a visit from an Australian touring team in 1950.
In the late 60's the men's hut was dismantled and a new one erected, and ladies were allowed to enter competitions.
By 1977 the green was in very poor condition and membership was at a very low ebb. This continued until 1984 when finances dictated that the club be disbanded.
After 1984, during this lull in the fortunes of the club, the green was used for a number of purposes, including football, and was one time the site of a bonfire.
On 21st September 1988 a meeting was held, under the chairmanship of Ronnie Ramsay, and the Bowling Club was resurrected. Prominent in the band of stalwarts were Alwyn Ramsey, Tom Gregory, Tommy Proudlock, Ken Bucknall, Eric Davidson, Larry Richards, Norman Petty, Bernette Crewther and Tom Foggon. Tom Foggon led the way in preparing the green, and the above, together with many hardworking helpers, set about doing all the necessary jobs, and raising the necessary money to achieve their dream.
The club reopened in the 1989 season and we are indebted to them for their foresight and hard work.
From 1989 until 2001 very many things were achieved and improved, including a new pavilion and watering system.
During this period, talks had been going on about the bowls and tennis clubs building a new pavilion to serve both, under the umbrella of the Rothbury Recreation Club, returning to the objective of the first meeting in 1922 (quoits disappearing from popularity). Agreement was eventually achieved after much hard work by Ian Anderson, and the building we now have was officially opened in 2000 by Alan Beith MP.
As with all bowling clubs continual additions and improvements are achieved by much hard work by members, who are hereby given many thanks.
One thing is certain, if you come to Rothbury Bowling Club you can be sure of a warm welcome.