A fuller history & guide to the church can be found at our website
History of Rennington
Rennington Parish extended much further to the West in ancient times, extending to Alnwick Moor or Aydon Forest together with land extending to Heiferlaw.
Rennington and Rock were very much separate villages in times past, being in different land ownerships.
Stamford and Broxfield were considered hamlets in their own right.
In 1267 a survey of Rennington recorded several freeholds in the Township: Philip De Broxfield held 40 acres, Everard Freeman held 24 acres, Hugh De Broxfield held 120 acres and Richard De Broxfield held 48 acres.
In 1290 land near Heckley became the property of Alnwick Abbey and in 1335 the estate in Broxfield was given to the Canons of Alnwick Abbey.
Rennington and Broxfield were owned separately until shortly after 1414 when the land was transferred to the Percy family and being part of the Barony of Alnwick held by The Earl of Northumberland. Rennington and Rock both suffered by raids from Scots and some of these depredations were recorded in 1574 and 1576.
A survey by the Earl of Northumberland Estate in 1622 records 'the mannor and towne of Rennington is parcell of the barony of Alnwicke situated in Bamburgh ward 'in a good soyle both for corne and grasse'. It is recorded that land was divided enclosed in 1720 and 1762 so as to improve the conditions of the tenants and allow them to practise more modern methods of farming.
Henry Ogle, the Schoolmaster and Parish Clerk at Rennington, together with John Common of Denwick were considered to be the inventors of the reaping machine being extensively adopted in America and exhibited by McCormick at the Great Exhibition in 1851